HEALTH, SAFETY & ENVIRONMENT
Health, Safety & Environment
VAALCO Energy, Environment VAALCO Gabon is committed to excellence in the areas of health, safety and environment (HSE). Meeting this commitment is a responsibility shared by everyone, including contractors and third parties, and is a prerequisite of VAALCO Gabon.
Health & Safety
VAALCO Platforms are utilized as offshore production facilities in the development and ultimate delivery of oil/gas products in the Etame field of Gabon. The production platforms contain all of the process equipment and facilities required to receive, store and assist with the transport of oil/gas via subsea pipelines. The offshore operations are supported by an onshore administrative office and logistics base in POG. Attached is the VAALCO HSE Manual is a handbook that has been developed to provide an overview of the minimum HSE Expectations for employees and contractors to safely execute all operations at VAALCO’s facilities. This document provides guidance on minimum HSE Expectations, Safe Work Practices, and Emergency Response Processes.
SOS VAALCO has developed the Safety Observation Scheme (SOS) Card which is a behavior-based safety (BBS) observation process used to identify unsafe work practices or unsafe workplace conditions. This process enables observers to provide feedback following an observation. VAALCO collects the data from each observation to perform trend analysis for the development of appropriate action plans to address unsafe behaviors.
Oil Spill Response
VAALCO’s emergency management team will coordinate responses to oil or hazardous material (HAZMAT) spills that originate from VAALCO offshore and shore-side facilities or assets. This includes complying with Gabon notification requirements. Workers who observe or discover a spill from a VAALCO facility or asset will take the following actions:
- Ensure the safety of all personnel. Anyone who observes the spill should act carefully, cautiously and reasonably.
- Notify the facility PIC and/or control room operator immediately.
- Qualified personnel should take actions that may include, but are not limited to:
- – Shutting in the well(s) and/or vessel(s)
- – Closing the surface and/or subsurface (automatic or manual) safety device(s)
- – Actuating emergency shutdown (ESD) device(s)
- – Actuating blowout prevention (BOP) assembly and well control system(s)
Contractors are responsible for developing and maintaining oil and hazardous material response plans for spills that originate from their property, facilities, or assets, including vessels.
Emergency Response and Drills
Emergency drills are routinely conducted at VAALCO facilities. To ensure familiarity with the emergency procedures, VAALCO conducts drills as if an actual emergency exists. All workers present at the facility during the time of the drill are required to participate. All contract facilities or vessels working in the VAALCO production field shall comply with this or a similar process. For specific guidelines, refer to the VAALCO Emergency Response Plan.
VAALCO Gabon is committed to excellence in the areas of health, safety and environment (HSE). Meeting this commitment is a responsibility shared by everyone, including contractors and third parties, and is a prerequisite of VAALCO Gabon. High standards of HSE performance will be directed by the following principles:
- Commitment: All Company employees will be expected to demonstrate strong commitment to high standards of HSE performance.
- Trust: The Company will conduct its operations in a manner of building trust on HSE issues with its employees, government, and the public.
- Accident Prevention: The Company’s goal of no accidents, injuries, unsafe work practices, or unsafe conditions will also be the goal of all employees.
- Emissions/Releases: Reduction and prevention of waste and emissions/releases will be among the objectives of all operations.
- Emergency Preparedness: Emergency preparedness is a vital function and is the responsibility of management and supervision at all levels.
- Compliance: The Company will comply with all applicable environmental, health, and safety laws and regulations.
- Training/Education: The Company will proactively assure that employees are adequately trained and educated on HSE issues.
- Measurement of Performance: HSE performance will be measured and communicated company-wide. Compliance reviews and audits will be periodically conducted.
- Effectiveness of HSE: The Company’s intent is to achieve continual improvement in the effectiveness of its health, environment, and safety efforts.